Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] FW: long Tables in docbook using FOP

See the thread I started on 17/12/2007, Headed " Fop unable to render tables ?  (without intervention ?)".

The outcome is that you need to put a processing instruction
<?dbfo keep-together="auto" ?>
In your FO.
And I think you need to use the latest snapshot version of the xsl stylesheets from Sourceforge to get this done from docbook without intervention (ie manually editing in the above PI) as 1.73.2 doesn't support it.

And this leads to a question I've been meaning to ask since I got the tables working......

*** Why is the default setting that Long Tables Do Not Work ?

This seems to me to be useless in all circumstances.

Surely there are two options with a long table (ie a table that will take more than one page)
1.
Unconditional.
Start at current position and insert page breaks wherever necessary.
2.
Unconditional.
Start after next page break and then insert page breaks wherever necessary.

The default behaviour is currently : Don't put page breaks the table at all.  Irrespective of whether it ought to take more than a page to complete.

For a short table, ie one that fits on a single page, the options are :
1.
Unconditional.
Start at current position.
A page break may actually be necessary if we started near the bottom of a page.
2.
Unconditional.
Start after next page break.
If we're saying this table is less than a page long then page breaks will not be necessary.
3.
Conditional.
If the table will fit on the current page, put it there.
If it won't fit on the current page, start it after the next page break.

So again, my question, slightly rephrased, is :
*** What is the point of the default setting being that Long Tables Do Not Work ?

Uncertainly,
Richard.