Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Adding new elements to DocBook...

Anagha,

I've answered your questions below.  One suggestion; if you're
just getting started with DocBook, are you sure you need to add
new elements?  You may want to get more familiar with standard
DocBook before customizing it.  Sometimes you'll find that what
you need is already there.

> I am referring to the details available at
> http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/#customconsiderations for
> adding new elements to the docbook.
>
> Question 1:
> What are inline elements? Example 5
> (http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/#ex-add-element-2) talks
> about adding new inline elements.
> Are those different from normal elements?

Not really.  Inline elements are things like <command> or
<emphasis>, that are typically rendered without a line break,
in the flow of text.  One example of an inline, the <emphasis>
element, is often rendered by simply changing the font style
to italics.  In terms of how you customize elements, there's
no distinction between inline and other elements.

> Question 2: How do I control the number of occurrences of an element?
> Can I use tags <oneOrMore> or <zeroOrMore> in the customization file?
> What tag should be used if I want an element to appear only "once" in
> the document?

Yes, you can use any of the RelaxNG constructs that you need.
There isn't any special tag to use when you only want to an element
to appear exactly once at some place in the grammar.  You just define
the element without a <oneOrMore> or <zeroOrMore> tag.

> Question 3.  One can define elements with types such as xs:string,
> xs:short, etc. in an XML Schema document (xsd) .What are the
> equivalent types available in DocBook?

I believe the standard schema does not use the xsd data types.
However, RELAX NG does allow you to use datatypes like the xsd
data types.  I have no idea how hard or easy that is to do for
DocBook.  Maybe someone else on the list has tried this out and
can make a suggestion.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Dick