Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] page-number-format and page-number-restart in article

Hi Jeff,
Page numbering style is set at the fo:page-sequence level, but an article
generates only a single page-sequence. If you want page numbering style and
sequence to change, you will have to either give up using an article, or
modify the article template to generate multiple page sequences for your
pieces of content.  The match="article" template is in fo/component.xsl.
This doc describes how to use the utility template named "page.sequence" in
an article context to generate more than one page-sequence:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PageDesign.html#CustomPageSequences

Once you have multiple page sequences, controlling the page numbering is
actually pretty easy.  There are two named templates that are used to assign
the starting number and format of page numbers for each page-sequence.  The
master-reference parameter can be used in an xsl:choose to select the values
for different page sequences.  See this doc for details:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/PrintHeaders.html#PageNumbering

From: "Jeff Hooker" <Jeff_Hooker@pmc-sierra.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 3:51 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] page-number-format and page-number-restart in
article

Hi,

I've been drilling through the archives for while and I think that I might
have clevered myself into a corner.

I'm creating specification documents and using the article element as my
root. My main reason for using the article rather than the book element was
to give my authoring community more structural flexibility (i.e. authoring
sections rather than chapters allows us to use content that might be a
top-level "chapter" in one document as a lower-level "section" in another;
something we can't do when we author in chapters.

Now that I'm trying to produce the PDFs, I'm having issues with page
numbering. Basically, we have 3-4 pages of boilerplate ISO-compliance
information at that start of every document, then we have the titlepage,
then we have the ToC, LoT, and LoF, and then the content begins. In a
perfect world, I'd restart the page numbering after the ISO data and on the
first page of content, and have roman numerals at the beginning, switching
to arabic after the LoF.

I'm getting the increasing impression from the mailing list and the
documentation that the Docbook XSL scripts are structured in such as way as
to make this a major rework, rather than adding a few page masters and
tweaking some parameters. Am I mistaken here? Any suggestions for a good
approach to this would be appreciated.

Jeff Hooker, Technical Writer, Technical Communications
PMC-Sierra, Inc., 100-2700 Production Way, Burnaby BC  V5A 4X1
(Tel)  604.415.6000 x 2255
(Cell) 778-855-7406