Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Request For Clarification: Indexterm processingin auto-index generation.

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> I still find these two texts to contradict each other. I do find the
> suggested processing expectation from TDG much more intuitive than the
> one explained in "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide".
>
> At least, I'd appreciate if those two texts could be made to agree on
> what the expected processing should be like. :-)

There is no contradiction. Your document will be read by humans. In many
cases (I'm not saying in all, so might be your indexing needs are really
different) human can't start reading in the middle of paragraph after
he/she followed link from index. Instead you usually need to be aware of
context. If the link from index leads to whole enclosing section you can
easily get context and then get better understanding of particular place
of text where indexterm originally occured. Of course this works well,
if your sections are small. If your sections are 50 pages long, this
approach is not very useful.

OpenPGP digital signature