Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Re: Request For Clarification: Indexterm processing in auto-index generation.

Dave Pawson [mailto:davep@dpawson.co.uk] wrote:

> My basic point is that the author should identify duplicates
> (perhaps from viewing the presented format) and do something about it.

I disagree with this, because it forces the author to presume a specific
output format when creating the source. If you have a long section, you
might want to index the first and last paragraphs of it with the same
index term. When a PDF is generated, those paragraphs could easily fall
on two different pages and thus should have two entries in the index.
But when HTML topics are generated, you simply want to collapse these
two entries into one and point it to the topic.

I think the transforms should be smart enough to collapse identical
entries in HTML topics. However, if there is only one instance of a
particular index term in a topic, then I agree that it should go
directly to the anchor point rather than the top of the page.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Senior Technical Writer
EMC Captiva
EMC Corporation
10145 Pacific Heights Boulevard, 6th Floor
San Diego, CA 92121-4234

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: Cavicchio_Rob@emc.com

The opinions expressed in this message are my own and should in no way
be interpreted to reflect the opinions of EMC.