Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] FO processor support

Hi,

Norman Walsh wrote:
> As I work on porting the XSLT 1.0 stylesheets to XSLT 2.0, I find
> workarounds, mostly for FOP and PassiveTeX scattered throughout. Does
> anyone know if these are still necessary?

I had a look at the 1.73.2 stylesheets and can provide some details
about the workarounds still needed by the FOP 1.x branch (version 0.93
and later). Having found no development targetted list on Sourceforge
I guess this list is the appropriate one.

I worked from the released 1.73.2 version of the stylesheets. I made
a grep for ‘fop.extensions’ in the fo/*.xsl files and the line numbers
given below correspond to the lines where this term was found. If for
whatever reason the lines don’t match they can be retrieved by searching
for ‘fop.extensions’ from the beginning of each file.

There’s nothing to add that’s specific to the fop1.extensions parameter;
this means that, either the fop.extensions parameter is present at the
same place and the comment available for this parameter also applies to
the fop1 parameter. Or the specific behaviour that’s implemented at that
place must be kepts as is.

The results are in the attached text file. If there’s any question, just
ask.

I hope this helps,
Vincent

admon.xsl
l.50: FOP now supports the url(...) syntax

autotoc.xsl
l.687: margin is handled correctly

block.xsl
l.138: FOP does not support floats yet. The workaround is still needed

callout.xsl
l.149: same as admon.xsl, url(...) syntax supported

docbook.xsl
l.270: AFAIU this is to produce the bookmark tree. No longer needed since FOP
       0.93+ supports the XSL-FO 1.1 bookmark feature

footnote.xsl
l.22: baseline-shift is now supported

graphics.xsl
l.608: same as admon.xsl, url(...) syntax supported

htmltbl.xsl
l.41: table-layout="fixed" is still required by FOP 0.93+
l.123: the column-width="x%" syntax is now supported
l.135: is the purpose to add default fo:table-column elements if they can't be
       generated from the DocBook source (no col/colgroup specification)? Then
       this is not needed by FOP 0.93+ which, if no fo:table-column elements are
       specified, will create the appropriate number of columns for the table
       content, all with the same proportional width.

inline.xsl
l.308: same as footnote.xsl, baseline-shift is now supported
l.339: idem
l.1047: FOP doesn't support a list of font families yet, so it's probably safer
        to leave it as is.

pagesetup.xsl
l.80: must be left, still not supported by FOP
l.1643: idem
l.1738: must be kept, relative-align not yet supported
l.1752, 1766, 2062, 2076, 2090: idem
l.2293: can be removed, start-indent now well supported

param.xml
l.7397, body.start.indent.frag: can be removed, start-indent now well supported
l.8029, title.margin.left.frag: idem

pi.xsl
l.889, l.961: must be kept, not working yet

profile-docbook.xsl
l.225: FOP 0.93+ supports fo:bookmark-tree

table.xsl
l.183: should work with FOP 0.93+
l.462: must be kept, auto table layout not supported yet
l.593: idem
l.1011: should work with FOP 0.93+

xref.xsl
l.932: must be kept, relative-align not yet supported