Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook version

Hi Rolf,

> Can anyone tell me how or where I can find out the DocBook
> version I’m using? It was introduced before I joined the company, and now
> I’m the only one left working with it.

Your DocBook XML files should contain a DOCTYPE declaration, at least if
you use DocBook 4.x. This could look like this:

  <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
                        "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";>

Here you can see the DocBook version (4.4). This is the recommended method
to attach the DocBook-DTD to your XML file(s). However, sometimes you can
see this:

  <!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "/somewhere/over/the/rainbow/docbookx.dtd">

or this:

  <!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "c:\somewhere\over\the\rainbow\docbookx.dtd">

In this case you have to open the file and look for any comments.

Hope that helps,
Tom