Subject: Re: Including external documents

Bob Stayton <bobs <at> sagehill.net> writes:

> Well, not quite what I had in mind.  There could be one appendix element
> with title and mediaobject, and it has the role attribute to select the
> custom page-master.

<snip/>

> Then you add a page-sequence-master to assemble the existing and new
> simple-page-masters into a new sequence:

<snip/>

I was able to suppress the headers and footers, but fop still gave me
warnings:

Apr 15, 2008 5:04:29 AM org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageBreakingAlgorithm
updateData2
WARNING: Part/page 0 overflows the available area in block-progression
dimension. (fo:block-container, location: 1290/58)
Apr 15, 2008 5:04:29 AM
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.LineLayoutManager$LineBreakingAlgorithm
updateData2
WARNING: Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the available area by more than 50
points. (fo:block, location: 1297/52)
Apr 15, 2008 5:04:29 AM org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageBreaker$1 notifyOverflow
WARNING: Content of the region-body on page 3 overflows the available area in
block-progression dimension. (fo:page-sequence, location: 1038/315)

The image is cropped in various ways, depending on the alignment and scaling
options that I tried.

Anyway, on the fop user's list, I got this response to my question:

> Please take a look at:
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/extensions.html#external-document
>
> Of course, you can create the same effect by setting up the page-master
> accordingly and using line-height="0" to avoid half-leading effects. The
> above extension is simpler but renders your XSL-FO incompatible with
> other FO implementations.

It works, but I have to edit the fo file and replace the relevant
<fo:page-sequence>
  <fo:block id="x" text-align="center">
    <fo:external-graphic src="url(y) ..."/>
  </fo:block>
</fo:page-sequence>

with
<fox:external-document id="x" src="y"/>

I also have to declare the fox namespace.

Is there a way to incorporate this fop extension into my custom
stylesheet?I do not care that the fo will be compatible only with
fop.