Subject: Re: DocBook 5.x - the difference between mediaobject and inlinemediaobject

Warren Young <warren <at> etr-usa.com> writes:

> John Brown wrote:
> >
> > Isn't everything "inline"?
>
> No.
>
> Let us say our media object is FOO.
>
> We may insert FOO inline.  Or, we may reference
>
> 	FOO
>
> as a block-level object separately.
>
> As with everything in DocBook, this presentation issue isn't specified
> by DocBook itself.

I understand the concept fully. Instead of just having <bold> or
something similar, we are forced to type <emphasis role="strong">. That
way, they can truthfully say that DocBook specifies the content and not
the appearance of a document.

>  But, the two different tags exist because these two
> ways of showing graphics and such are common needs, with common default
> interpretations.

That's what I need to know. What are these default interpretations?
The mediaobject in question is an image file (PNG, 8.5in X 11in, 300
dpi). Do you mean that an inlinemediaobject should just be displayed on
the page, but a mediaobject should be a hyperlink that might display
the image in a new page, or maybe launch an external application to
display the image?

>  You use 'inline' for something small that can be read
> right along with the text, and regular presentation for everything else.

When I generate HTML, I see not the slightest difference between
mediaobject and inlinemediaobject, which is why I'm asking. I have not
tried inlinemediaobject with FO yet, but mediaobjects are certainly
displayed "inline".

In case it's relevant, I am using xsltproc and FOP-trunk (late March
/ early April).