Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xsl parameter "ulink.footnotes" generating anerror

Richard Hamilton wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I recommend you run the install under your own login.  You will need to
> extract the zip file using your login in a directory where you have
> write permissions.  Once you've done that, you can run the install shell
> under your login.  Since the install program updates your profile and
> other things in your home directory, you probably want it to run under
> your login anyway, unless you're setting things up for more than one
> user on your computer.
>
> .profile.incl should be in the top level directory.  Your problem is
> a typo in the find command.  Try the following:
>
> find . -name .profile.incl
> or, since it should be in that top directory,
> ls .profile.incl
>
> Hope that helps; good luck.

Thanks Dick (you're not Richard?),

It turns out that we may have been misunderstanding each other, or that
I have used a vocabulary that mismatches what's being used by
docbook-xsl and its installation/configuration procedure:

- I found that there is no file .profile.incl in the distribution at all
(I mean the .tar.gz that one downloads from SourceForge).
- .profile.incl and some other files starting with a dot, are being
generated when the program install.sh is run
- untarring the distribution, placing it into my system's directory tree
and possibly adjusting file permissions is what I mean by "installing".
This is not at all what the program install.sh does. That's why we may
have been misunderstanding each other.

  Notes aside:
  * I believe that the name of the file "install.sh "is misleading.
    I'd rather have called that file "user-configure" or equivalent.

  * Is it that the current distribution doesn't support a system-wide
    installation very well? I mean, because the install.sh script
    doesn't handle a user-specific configuration for a distribution
    that has been installed in let's say /usr/local/share/xml/...

Regardless, I've now understood and completed the
installation/configuration for my system; ".profile.incl" and friends
are present.

That, however, has not resolved the "XPath error ..." issue which this
thread is about. In the meantime I've take other directions to find the
cause of that error, but I'll branch off from another location in this
discussion thread for a report about that.

Erik.