Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to adjust listitem indentation for variablelists?

Hi Erik,
Your request was a little confusing in that you said you wanted it rendered
as a "list", but set the parameter to render it as "blocks".  Your
parenthetical statement indicated that you wanted it as "blocks", though.

This is a case where the stylesheets don't provide much flexibility.  The
template that formats a listitem in "blocks" mode looks like this:

<xsl:template match="varlistentry" mode="vl.as.blocks">
  <xsl:variable name="id"><xsl:call-template
name="object.id"/></xsl:variable>

  <fo:block id="{$id}" xsl:use-attribute-sets="list.item.spacing"
      keep-together.within-column="always"
      keep-with-next.within-column="always">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="term"/>
  </fo:block>

  <fo:block margin-left="0.25in">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="listitem"/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

As you can see, the margin-left property is hardcoded in the stylesheet.
Fortunately, this template is very short, so you can copy it to a
customization layer and change that value.

If you were using "list" format (side by side), then there is a processing
instruction that can adjust the indent width.