Subject: Re: client side transformation using docbook-xsl

It is related. . .It's the cause.

I thought it was the call to the document() function in l10n.xsl, but it is
not. It is the failure to load external entities just as described in the
article referenced below.

My thanks to you, Mr. Cavicchio, for providing the timely information. Thanks
to your information, and two expedient/crude hacks, I have client-side
transformations working in Firefox 2.x and 3.0.

The hacks:

1. To resolve a Firefox mime-type security error: Renamed the VERSION file to
VERSION.xsl and updated docbook.xsl where the VERSION file is referenced (in
an entity parameter declaration) to reflect the name change. On my Debian
system,  both files are located
in /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/common/. Prior to this Firefox
was complaining about the VERSION file missing the '.xsl' extension.

2. To resolve the Firefox failure to load external entities, I did what (I
think) is an ugly, brute force thing. I simply inserted the contents
of ../nwalsh/common/en.xml (less the xml version declaration at the top)
into ../nwalsh/common/l10n.xml in where the '&en' parameter reference used to
be.

I'll probably replace all of the entity references in l10n.xml with the
contents of the relevant locale specific xx.xml files in one go (python?) and
just maintain it that way until something gets fixed. Needless to say,
client-side transformations using Firefox are a critical requirement for me
at the moment. And because this particular Firefox bug is alive and well in
the version 3.0 beta release, I'll probably have to live with it for a while.
At least it works in Firefox now, just like it "should," I guess.

Thanks again for your swift and accurate response.

Best regards,

Richard Rosenberg
piPPAT