Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <link linkend> in XHTML output

2008/10/2 David Cramer <dcramer@motive.com>:
> You may also be able to get around the problem using a[href]{} in your
> css instead of just a{}:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.docbook.apps/19015/

Using "a:link" and "a:visited" (or just ":link" and ":visited") has
the same effect as "a[href]" but is more widely supported. The ":link"
and ":visited" pseudo-classes are part of CSS1 and as far as I know
all CSS browsers support them. Attribute selectors like "[href]" were
introduced in CSS2 and, as the message you linked says, aren't
supported by old versions of Internet Explorer and various other
browsers.

I forgot to mention in my previous message that if you want to style
all links you need to use both ":link" and ":visited" - ":link" only
affects unvisited links.

Andy