Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] CV/Resume in DocBook?

Quoting markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de :

> Quoting "W. Martin Borgert" <debacle@debian.org>:
>
>> On 2008-09-23 10:11, Jacques Foucry wrote:
>>> I not really use Docbook for my CV but a resumé Library, in XML to :
>>> <http://xmlresume.sourceforge.net/>

I also happen to use DocBook and also xmlresume.
And I like both a lot.

But be warned: Active development of xmlresume stopped in 2004.
The resp. help forum on sf.net is rather low-traffic,
so don't expect to receive very much help from there.

>> This is interesting. The XML looks really docbookish
>> (e.g. "<para>", "<emphasis">", etc.).

Don't betray yourself!
That's a rather superficial similarity.

>> Is should be possible to define this or something close
>> as DocBook derivative, in the way of
>> http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/ch05.html

I want to discourage you from doing so
for just a personal ("life-time wasting") project.
This is not to offend anybody,
and also not to start a flame-war.

I just think that starting a "ch05" project ("Customizing DocBook")
is something you should start as a professional project -- e.g. in the
environment of the company that feeds you.

>> Btw. the PDF examples look - no offense - not very convincing.
>
> The look is a matter of stylesheet customization.
> I have successfully
> used a tweaked version of the xmlresume DTD and stylesheets,
> see the examples on this page:
>
> http://www.mhoenicka.de/about.html

Right, Markus's PDF from his customized stylesheets looks nicer than
the non-customized ones.
But then: Markus's work is not really public, as far as I am aware of.
Again: this is not to offend anybody.

One of my bad experiences with xmlresume is,
that the xslt scripts eat space (where you don't expect it) and also "&nbsp;",
and I don't know how to fix it,
and I am neither prepared nor willing to dig too deep at all into
those xslt scripts.

So right, xmlresume is a way to go,
if you want to write your CV the XML way,
but you are a little alone with that.

I wonder, why there is actually no widely-know XML-stylesheet for
writing letters, but maybe somebody will tell us.

I personally use "Content-Type: text/enriched"
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text>)
for the gap between DocBook files and flat text files,
and I edit that kind of documents using emacs,
which has a dedicated mode for that.
emacs creates PostScript for those documents,
and "ps2pdf" helps me rendering PDF files from that.
Of course, the output looks rather poor,
but it's good enough for what I use it for.