Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Inheritance of customized generated text

Hi,

On Freitag, 10. Oktober 2008, honyk wrote:
> [...]
> If in db-common.xsl following changes are specified:
>
>    <i18n xmlns="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/xmlns/l10n/1.0";>
>   [...]
>    </i18n>
>
> and this layer is later imported using <xsl:import
> href="db-common.xsl"/> into next layer with following code:

Maybe it sounds picky, but isn't it an XML file? So why use ".xsl" as
extension when nothing XSL specific is inside?

>    <xsl:param name="local.l10n.xml" select="document('')"/>
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This selects the current stylesheet so the DocBook stylesheets can search
for any l18n or l10n elements.
This is useful, if you have your language changes inside the current
stylesheet. However, you can't use this method in combination with what
you did. This doesn't work.

> It seems all db-common changes are ignored and only these from second
> layer are used (i.e. informalexample is unknown). My list of changes is
> much larger so it is quite important. Is there any mistake in my code
> or different approach should be used instead?

Yes, that's the expected behaviour.

I would suggest the following:

1. Do not import your XML file with xsl:import as that is used for
   XSLT files only. In my opinion it's highly confusing.
2. Rename db-common.xsl to db-common.xml as it is confusing too.
   You fool everybody (including yourself) when the content does
   not fit to the extension
3. Let "local.l10n.xml" point to your XML file, for example:
   <xsl:param name="local.l10n.xml" select="document('db-common.xml')"/>

I know, this does not solve your problem. You tried to "overwrite" your
language changes but as far as I know this is not how this method works.

Normally you create an XML file and insert only those entries that have to
appear differently. If you have two different projects, maybe some could
be shared. If not, you need two separate files.

More about this topic can you read in
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomGentext.html

Tom

--