Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Docbook with Math ML/Latex => PDF

Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:22:47
+0100:

> HTML I believe it's a browser feature?
> So is it reasonable to simply pass the mathml through to the html?

Yes, and absolutely yes.

> Agreed there are no standards (yet). W3C seem very slow to get to
> grips with multi-namespaced documents.

True, but recommendations and best practices have been around for many
years; see e.g. http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/Overview.html and
http://www.w3.org/TR/XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG/.

Note that if you are willing to force Mozilla-based browsers upon your
users, then you don't need to jump through any of the hoops set up in
.../Overview.html; you simply include namespaced, inline MathML as
outlined in the cited TR, which is what the DocBook XHTML stylesheets
have been doing for a long time. MathML has been supported natively
since Firefox 1, and in a very non-techie-user-friendly way since
Firefox 3.

Justus