Subject: cals tables

I have written an informal cals table, where most of the rows don't have data in all columns.
I am using the entry attributes namest and nameend to position entries with data.
There are 4 rows where the first column has data, then near the middle of the row is more data.
In  output  the first row like that  the row is filled to the end  with empty enties,
but for the others two of the rows have one extra entry  and one has none.
So the right half of the rows look like
    a | | | |
    b | |
    c |
    d |  |

both in pdf and html, using docbook-xsl-ns-1.74.0 and xalan.

                  Ian Moor