Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Header and footer on titlepage

This is an unfortunate quirk of the fo header templates.  The template named
header.content is called by a template named header.table that lays out the
three column table that makes up the header.  Inside the header.table
template in fo/pagesetup.xsl is this bit of code that turns off the entire
header table on the first titlepage of a book:

  <!-- Really output a header? -->
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$pageclass = 'titlepage' and $gentext-key = 'book'
                    and $sequence='first'">
      <!-- no, book titlepages have no headers at all -->
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="$sequence = 'blank' and $headers.on.blank.pages = 0">
      <!-- no output -->
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:copy-of select="$candidate"/>
    </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>

So getting a header table on the first title page of a book requires copying
this template to a customization layer and modifying it to turn off this
behavior.

I think this bit of code is obsolete because the header.content template can
turn off the titlepage header just as well.  If you file this as a bug
report on SourceForge, it will get fixed at some point.