Subject: HOWTO scale svg images

I'm embedding SVG images in my docbook article / slides. I'd like to
control the size of the graphic, but I don't get the expected result in
xhtml output: Instead of having the graphic scale to the desired size, I
get a correctly sized viewport (with scrollbars) through which I see the
graphic in its original size.

The stylesheets generate a <table> element containing the <object>.
Without the table I would get what I want, i.e. the graphic itself would
scale. But with it only the viewport scales.

(I have tried both, the 'scale' as well as the 'width' attribute to the
imagedata element.)

Am I missing something ?

Thanks,
       Stefan