Subject: Text overflow in table cells

                            Hi!

   If a table cell (in pdf) has a text token longer than fits in the said
cell, I'd like to truncate the content instead of overflowing it over the
contents of the next cell as seems to be the default.

   Here's a (somewhat) minimal sample:

<article>
	<title>Overflow sample</title>
	<informaltable frame="none" colsep="0" rowsep="0">
		<tgroup cols="10">
			<colspec colname="1" align="left"/>
			<colspec colname="2" align="left"/>
			<colspec colname="3" align="left"/>
			<colspec colname="4" align="left"/>
			<colspec colname="5" align="right"/>
			<colspec colname="6" align="right"/>
			<colspec colname="7" align="right"/>
			<colspec colname="8" align="right"/>
			<colspec colname="9" align="left"/>
			<colspec colname="10" align="right"/>
			<tbody>
				<row>
					<entry>PARTIALSUBDRAUGHT/TEST</entry>
					<entry>INTACT</entry>
					<entry>EQ</entry>
					<entry>PS</entry>
					<entry>7.040</entry>
					<entry>0.000</entry>
					<entry>0.0</entry>
					<entry>-</entry>
					<entry>-</entry>
					<entry>1.01</entry>
				</row>
			</tbody>
		</tgroup>
	</informaltable>
</article>

   The token "PARTIALSUBDRAUGHT" overflows into the next cell on the top of
the text there - this looks messy. I know truncating the string and thus
losing content is not a good thing either, but due to user demand I'd like
to be able to do that.
   In this particular case the problem could be solved by resizing the
columns appropriately, but all the cases are not that simple.

   Using hyphenation is not (always) an option either since some of the
texts (like the one above) are identifiers and no extra "-" should be
inserted.

   Looking at documentation for <entry> (docbook table cell) I found
nothing suitable. Did I miss something?

   I found this in fop faq:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#cells-overflow

   Trying this out, I manually edited the xsl-fo and achieved what I
wanted. I.e. I wrapped the <fo:block> inside <fo:table-cell> inside a
<fo:block-container> like this:

   <fo:table-cell padding-left="2pt" padding-right="2pt" padding-top="2pt"
padding-bottom="2pt" text-align="left">
       <fo:block-container overflow="hidden">
          <fo:block>PARTIALSUBDRAUGHT/TEST</fo:block>
        </fo:block-container>
   </fo:table-cell>

   Now comes the problem: I went through docbook-xsl customization options
for table cells and found table.cell.properties and
table.cell.block.properties, but they don't help me as it's not sufficient
to set an attribute value.
   I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that the only way to achieve what I want
is to hack "entry" template in fo/table.xsl (around lines 1022-1038).
Also, as this behavior should be optinal, I should use role or style
attribute something like role="truncate-overflow".

   Any better ideas?

   Environment:
         win xp sp 2
	docbook xsl 1.74.0