Subject: nbsp symbols in XHTML output

I am writing documentation using object oriented tags for lists of classes and methods.  In the XHTML output in Internet Explorer, all of the areas where there are   or   in the XSLT appear as the following symbol, Â .  This does not happen in Firefox.  Is this a common problem?  Is there an easy solution to remove the symbols?  I am using DocBook 5.0, Saxon, XEP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lillian