Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] slides: how to balance presentation and content

Dave Pawson wrote:

> If it is accepted that 'presentations' are appropriate, then
> perhaps moving slides to db5 and extending it to provide the markup
> you want wouldn't be inappropriate. Relax schemas are so nice to work
> with for extensions.
>
> What additional markup is needed? A lot, or just minor additions?

That's an interesting question. The obvious addition would be support
for incremental slide presentation. This includes incremental list
items, as well as other incremental content, but it also includes
graphics overlays. (I abused the mediaobject semantics, which already
allows multiple imageobjects; I changed the semantics to mean that all
imageobjects inside a mediaobjects are to be overlayed, and displayed
incrementally.)

Another area is to explicitely allow multi-column displays, with
explicit placement into those columns (or more generally, blocks).
Having content flow automatically is typically not what presentation
authors want.

There is certainly much more to be done. I'm not a presentation
power-user, so my use-cases are rather minimal.
But this is a start. Or actually, moving docbook-slides to DB5 would be
the start. <wink/>

Thanks,
       Stefan