Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] manpage/docbook.xsl generated code broken fornroff

Ralph B«Óhme <ralph@rsrc.de>, 2009-02-03 22:34 +0100:

>  Am 03.02.2009 um 22:16 schrieb Bob Stayton:
> > I don't have a system with plain nroff to test this on, so I'm not clear on
> > what exactly the problem is or how to fix it.
>
>  If you like I could provide you shell access to a Opensolaris 11/08 machine.

That would help me. We have open bugs on this that are assigned to
me, and I am hoping to get some fixes made and checked in
relatively soon, and then do a 1.75.0 release after that.

> > Do you know if the issue is the use of macro
> > names longer than two characters, or the use of built-in groff instructions
> > that don't work with plain nroff?
>
>  The latter. Running `checknr` (a nroff syntax checker) bails out numerous
>  times.

I hadn't know about that tool. It would be great to have shell
access to a system where I can run it myself directly, so I can
test changes and make sure my fixes will working.

> > If it is the former, then it could be
> > easily fixed by renaming defined macros, but if it is the latter,
> > then it will be harder.
> >
> > If you manage to get a new 'define.macros' working, you could submit it for
> > inclusion and we could add it to the stylesheet with an option parameter to
> > turn it on.
>
>  I got one working by completly removing the 4 mentioned macros: toupper,
>  SH-xref, SH, SS. See:
>
>  <http://netatalk.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/netatalk/netatalk-docs/manual/man.xsl?revision=1.3&view=markup>

So, what I'll probably end up doing is to create a new parameter
named "man.custom.macros.enabled" (or something) and have it set
to on by default. Setting it to off will cause the custom macros
to not be used.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith