Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Docbook workshop syllabi?

Sounds like for her target audience a demo of one or more working
systems with some bells and whistles/convenience features would be
appropriate to show what's possible once you have everything glued
together. It would need to be made clear that any one system shows one
possible solution and that there are many different ways to put together
a tool chain depending on your needs, budget, etc.

Something I could see the community doing is posting some screencaps or
flash movies showing geewhiz features or integrations in their systems
along with some text explaining what the feature does. Here's my
contribution (the only flash movie I've gone to the trouble of making).
This shows how we use XMetaL's resource manager (a browser pane
integrated into the editor) along with some javascript to provide a
dynamic glossary. The user selects a term from the pane, clicks on it,
and it's inserted into the document as a glossterm with an id. At build
time, a glossary is generated using terms that have been added and any
terms used in the definitions of the manually added terms:
http://www.thingbag.net/docbook/swfs/glossary.htm It should be clear
that I'm a noobie at making flash demos...the pacing is all wrong :-)

Probably some samples of DocBook output run thorugh varous customization
layers would be helpful too so they can see what is possible there. E.g.
the same content in several pdf formats and varous flavors of html, etc.
Some integrations require too much background information to demo well
(e.g. if the content is dynamically generated from a database), it might
be hard to show/explain by someone who's not very familiar with the
system, but there should be plenty that can be demoed.

Karen could then combine these into a presentation. I would enjoy seeing
and being inspired by what others have done with their systems.

David