Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook workshop syllabi?

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Karen Schneider <kgschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone developed a half-day workshop or one-or-two-hour webinar on
> Docbook?

I haven't actually written it yet, but I'm planning an article called
"Getting Started with DocBook" that will be at:

   http://www.oggfrog.com/howto/docbook-introduction/

I expect to start work on it this weekend, and will post new drafts as
I have them.  Once it is final I'll place it under the Creative
Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.

I plan to write the article in DocBook, and will provide US Letter and
A4 PDFs that you could hand out at your workshop in hardcopy form.

I'm going to focus on getting the tools installed and configured on
all the platforms I can get my hands on, setting up catalog files and
environment variables, then writing your first document and getting it
to validate, with clear and detailed instructions on publishing to
XHTML and PDF.

DocBook has a reputation for being very painful to use, but it's not
DocBook's fault!  Most of the pain comes from the difficulty of
figuring out the many tools and their error messages.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   I'm looking for a job in Silicon Valley:
     http://www.goingware.com/resume/cover-letter.html