Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook workshop syllabi?

Karen Schneider wrote:
> Wow, good comments all (and I hope more flow) -- I am on the road this
> week but when I get back and the dust settles, I'll begin working on a
> syllabus for the workshop and will share it with everyone. Michael, if
> you want to show me material in draft, I would be happy to give it a
> novice's look-over.

Good perspective, but try to keep it to two sided view?
How you would like it personalizing for your company,
and how it might be best for a more general Docbook workshop?

> Dean, thanks for the doc. Actually, the XML would help, too! In some
> ways I *am* looking for specifics -- we have an initial "Book of
> Evergreen" we'd like people to think about and when possible write in,
> with its own style conventions and Docbook template. I'm also
> considering using XMLMind (personal edition) as the example editor. I am
> working with a documentation intern at another institution who also
> suggested I begin by showing other examples of XML, to make the case for
> it.

I think a specific XML editor would be down to you/your organization?
I.e. a customized version of the workshop?

> Tobias, you bring up an interesting angle. There has been discussion
> (maybe not surprisingly) about whether we really "need" Docbook or could
> just continue using our current Dokuwiki instance. There are XML editors
> that are at least as comfortable as any wiki, but they don't have the
> collaborative functionality you talk about. That's an interesting
> workflow consideration. That said, we've had a recent spate of
> documentation, some of it quite excellent -- but produced in Word.

I think workflow is a key component for docbook.
Output media, which editor, HTML, XML, PDF output etc?

Also the 'why docbook' would make a good session. I'm sure
Bob and Norm et al have material on that (else why are we all here :-)
Two views there. Why docbook for beancounters,
and why docbook for markup geeks, which should be two way.

That brings up another point.

what 'previous experience' should a tutor expect?
XML 'exposure' / experience?
XSLT experience
RNG/DTD experience?

Mmmm