Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook testing

Keith Fahlgren wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> 1) Run different XSLT processors / configurations on the various stylesheet
>> sets ((X)HTML, FO, man, etc.) and make sure they don't fail.
>
> Smoketests for xsltproc and saxon are now part of the release process.

I like the phrase! guessing it means 'something' is transformed?
Does that mean the entire test suite?

>> 2) validate the output for syntactical correctness (xmllint without
>> validation for XML output, say)
>
> This seems like an easy one, yes.
>
>> 3) validate against document types, if applicable (xmllint with validation,
>> etc.)
>
> Sadly, is only reasonable for *HTML outputs, but yes.

I've added that, but I'm not sure it's meaningful for multiple outputs.

>> 4) validate final output by visually inspecting it.
>
> I think there's 3.5 in here: find a few pieces of text that *must* be
> in the output and search for them. This is a technique web developers
> use for automated testing. "I really need to look at this visually at
> some point, but if my catalog page doesn't include the text 'buy it
> now', it's broke."

A poor mans alternative to visual checking. Quite possibly useful though
Keith. Thanks. It would perhaps suffice for non XML output formats too.

> Please see how far you can get through
> https://docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/docbook/trunk/xsl/README.BUILD
> (there are no commercial tools necessary).

Thanks. Very useful. I know with my setup I wouldn't succeed - but would
I want to? See earlier post

regards

--
Dave Pawson