[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Re: [docbook] better internationalization issues again
[Moving this over to the docbook-apps mailing list where stylesheet issues are discussed] Hi, Thank you for your comments. See my responses below. Bob Stayton Sagehill Enterprises email@example.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Muayyad AlSadi" <firstname.lastname@example.org> To: <email@example.com> Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:51 AM Subject: [docbook] better internationalization issues again > hi, and congratulation for the new release > > I found that there are still many missing things in it like in > > fo/param.xsl > > <xsl:param name="writing.mode"> > <xsl:call-template name="gentext"> > <xsl:with-param name="key">writing-mode</xsl:with-param> > <xsl:with-param name="lang"> > <xsl:call-template name="l10n.language"> > <xsl:with-param name="target" select="/*"/> > </xsl:call-template> > </xsl:with-param> > </xsl:call-template> > </xsl:param> > > just like the html/param.xsl This has not yet been implemented in the fo side. Soon. > ----- > and I still see hard-coded lefts and rights instead of using > direction.align.start/end On the html side, specifically where did you see these? I think all were replaced when the updated SVN files were included in the 1.74.2 or 1.74.3 builds. > and I also wonder why this > > <xsl:variable name="direction.align.start"> > <xsl:choose> > <xsl:when test="starts-with($writing.mode, 'lr')">left</xsl:when> > <xsl:when test="starts-with($writing.mode, 'rl')">right</xsl:when> > <xsl:otherwise>left</xsl:otherwise> > </xsl:choose> > </xsl:variable> > > is found on html/html.xsl not common common/* > so that "direction.align.start" can be used in fo/* It probably is not necessary in the fo side, which should be using "start" and "end" rather than left and right. Then when the writing mode is properly set then those will work properly. HTML does not support "start" and "end". > ----- > and I wonder why html/docbook.xsl have a hard-coded non-international > encoding > <xsl:output method="html" > encoding="ISO-8859-1" > indent="no"/> > > instead of $chunker.output.encoding and falling back to utf-8 if not > defined > despite that I reported that before The encoding attribute of an xsl:output element cannot contain a variable reference (a limitation of the XSLT standard, not DocBook), so it cannot use $chunker.output.encoding. I think it has been left at ISO-8859-1 for backwards compatibility with previous releases of the stylesheets. Changing it could affect a lot of websites at this point. If we change it, I think we need to warn users ahead of time. However, any customization layer can change it, as described in my book: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/OutputEncoding.html > -- > I would love to help you fix all such issues and more, > if there is a QA team I would love to volunteer > so that we fix things like this before release Thanks for the offer, it is very helpful. If you could test HTML with the 1.74.3 release, that would be helpful. I expect to complete the fo side soon, and I'll ask you to test that as well.