[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook 5.0 and stylesheets
indeed the picture is a bit blurry at the moment while docbook is migrating from 4.x to 5.0. Some points to try to answer your questions:
- 4.x docbook will not evolve anymore, the current standard is now 5.0
- 5.0 is not officially an OASIS standard yet, because of administrative reasons only
- many people have been using exclusively 5.0 for more than a year without issues.
- there are not really 5.0 stylesheets at the moment. Some work is being done on XSLT2 stylesheets, but this is not production ready I believe. So 4.x stylesheets have been adapted to be capable of handling 5.0 documents
- 5.0 documents are not exactly processed back to 4.x: it is just that there is a first step that makes some adjustments to the document so it is correctly processed by the stylesheet. However this is transparent to the user. The user just apply the stylesheet once.
- there is the namespace aware stylesheet version (-ns) that is specific to 5.0 but basically based on the standard stylesheet.tax
So in short: just apply current -ns stylesheet with xsltproc on your document.
Concerning xincludes, the syntax is the same as in DB 4.x, just remember to use the namespace.
All this is my vision of the issue, I will let experts precise or correct all if necessary
Karen Schneider wrote:
Hi, I'm reposting a message from Betty, an intern who is subscribed to this list but having difficulty posting.. Note that I think I have partially found the answer from the following document, http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/ , which includes links to http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl-ns/current/ , but I am still seeking general clarification about why 4.0 seems to be the norm (I mean, to a newcomer it seems odd that I'd produce 5.0 documents and then process them back to 4.0?!)... because of a large installed base, or something else?From: "Betty Ing" <firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>>
Karen G. Schneider
To: firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>| firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:58:14 -0500
Subject: DocBook 5 Stylesheets
I have been looking at the "Using XInclude" example in Ch. 23 - Modular
DocBook - of DocBook XSL.
I would like to create the chapter file and book file using DocBook 5
and DocBook 5 stylesheets. I also plan to use xsltproc. What changes do
I need to make in the xml files, and where can I locate DocBook 5
Thanks in advance.
| Karen G. Schneider
| Community Librarian
| Equinox Software Inc. "The Evergreen Experts"
| Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712