Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook profiles and conditioning potentially unmanageable?

You might consider adding profile values with a "NOT..." prefix to indicate
exclusion. Then you would have to create a customization for the profiling
stylesheet to customize the templates in profiling/profile-mode.xsl to parse
such values and handle the logic you would assign to such a prefix.

For example, would a NOT prefix be added to profiling attributes in the
document, or used in the value of the profiling parameter, or both?

From: "J. H. Koonce" <ectdocuments@netscape.net>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 1:50 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] DocBook profiles and conditioning potentially
unmanageable?

Hi,

At my company we use Docbook 4.5 to produce rather larger documents
chiefly of type 'book' for principal documentation, and 'article' for
ancillary docs. It works fine except that we have OEM documentation as
well as heavy product segmentation (toolkits, add-ons, etc.). We use
conditioning in order to manage doc type’s styles and the above
mentioned segments. Thus we often find using variables and profiles to
'include' images, labels and sections among other things. Because of
our documentation scope, the number of profiles and conditions will
increase; we are sure this will result in a practically unmanageable
volume of product variables.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a ‘not include’ or ‘exclude’
XML syntax which will simplify the maintenance of our ever growing
single source?

J.H. Koonce