Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Element [...] not allowed in this context

As nearly as I can tell, you are attempting to include a chapter inside a chapter (StaffServices.xml, which is a chapter includes Cataloging.xml, which is also a chapter).  You also have a para following the inclusion of Cataloging.xml, which would be a para following a chapter (or section, if you changed Cataloging.xml to have a section as its root element).  Once you start using structures like chapters and sections, you can't follow with paras.

We implemented our inclusion before xinclude was stable enough to use and one thing we found very useful was a "build to validate" target (we use ant so all builds are targets).  It made finding this type of problem much easier.  I believe oXygen has an extended validation mechanism that allows validating parts against a whole document, but haven't every used it.  The validation target that lets us do all the inclusion (as well as all the conditionalization) has proven very helpful.

Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Schneider [mailto:kgschneider@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:58 AM
To: docbook-apps

I have a situation where 3 files validate quite nicely as a project in
oXygen (they are a chapter, a sect1, and a glossary), but if I attempt
to validate them as part of a larger, nested project (where there is a
book followed by chapters and then sect1s), I get the following errors
for the chapter:

element "chapter" from namespace "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; not
allowed in this context -- Cataloging.xml

I see that the glossary and the sect1 appear to be validating...
that's a start. ;)

I pasted the three files below my .sig file and brace myself for the
inevitable n00b learning moment... I do have Stayton's book open to
Chapter 23 as I write this...

| Karen G. Schneider
| Community Librarian
| Equinox Software Inc. "The Evergreen Experts"
| Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712
| kgs@esilibrary.com
| Web: http://www.esilibrary.com
| Be a part of the Evergreen International Conference, May 20-22, 2009!
| http://www.lyrasis.org/evergreen

----------------------------

boe.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<book version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
  xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>

  <info>
    <title>Evergreen Documentation</title>
    <author>
      <orgname>Evergreen Open Source Library Software</orgname>
    </author>
    <copyright>
      <year>2009</year>
      <holder>The Evergreen Project</holder>
    </copyright>
  </info>

  <xi:include  href="StaffServices/StaffServices.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

  <xi:include  href="TechRef/TechRef.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

</book>

-------------------

StaffServices.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<chapter version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
  xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude";
  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>

    <title>Evergreen Staff Services</title>

  <xi:include  href="Cataloging/Cataloging.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

<para>Add stuff here</para>

</chapter>

Cataloging.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<chapter version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude";>

        <title>Evergreen Cataloging</title>

    <xi:include  href="CatalogingIntro.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

    <xi:include  href="CatalogingGlossary.xml"