Subject: xlstproc questions (was: CSS begging)

Johann (and Dave and Fabrice), thank you! I am now able to demo "and
this is what it looks like, styled" -- which is very useful. I will
put my slides on Slideshare early next week.

I told myself that would be my last question before Wednesday's talk
but the mention of xsltproc raised questions about its use as well. (I
am using both free tools such as xsltproc and xmlmind side-by-side
with oXygen so I can demonstrate some choice in tool selection. Most
but not all people at this demo will be working in Windows and like
me, will start with free tools.)

For Windows users, is it common usage to create a batch file for
xsltproc that substitutes as a kind of Makefile to document processes?

Also, I had trouble with DOS path names in my xsltproc commands and
the Windows (really, DOS...) guidance for xsltproc I found on the web
seemed vague.

This:

C:\XMLTOOLS>xsltproc --stringparam base.dir c:\XMLTOOLS\test7-
--stringparam html.stylesheet boetest.css
c:\xmltools\docbook-xsl\xhtml\chunk.xsl
h:\docsrepo\TechRef\JSONGrammar.xml

produced a strange long filename... if I left off the path that didn't
happen. If I changed the path, say, to h:\test\results\test8- the file
stayed in teh directory with another strange long filename, like the
other, concatenated from the path.Obviously, there's a right way to
express the path and that isn't it.

Finally, if anyone has really precise instructions for permanently
setting the path for xsltproc, that would be great. Most directions on
the Web are vague (try googling: your computer's environment variable
xsltproc) and I had to ask a couple of friends who like me hadn't done
anything like this in, oh... a decade.