Subject: Easy wasy to remove generated title in xref?

I've read up a bit on customization of the v5 XSL stylesheets but before I start adding a customization layer I was just wondering If I might have missed something.

What I want is a "LaTeX" style references when I use an xref, i.e

... for more details see "example 3.2"

and not what the stylesheets generate by default, i.e.

... for more details see "example 3.2, Some potentially very long title"

I'm aware of the titleabbrev tag but I would like to avoid having another tag.
Is there some easier way to remove the generated title completely (and just keep the reference type and numbering) other than adding a small customization layer?

Johan