Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook 4.5 install. Woefully hard?

On 08/03/2009 10:39 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> Instructions like these would sure be appreciated by many, as long as
> someone has time enough to keep them updated. I still have such a set of
> instructions for Windows online
> (http://www.mhoenicka.de/software/sgml/sgmlnt.html), but I'm afraid the
> XML part is badly outdated, and I don't have time to fix it anytime soon.

Yes, I'd forgotten about yours Markus.
I used those for long enough, but my Linux setup
has been stable enough that I forgot about half the stuff!

> Would Cygwin be acceptable for your "client"? Cygwin has a fairly
> complete toolchain for XML processing, although I'm not sure about the
> schema-based DocBook versions.

I'm not best to judge that. I've not had much success with it
since it changed from a 'complete' installation.
Nor am I sure Windows users would appreciate changing 'environment'
or installing such a big item?

What do others think?

The only thing that remains to be solved
> is to take the guesswork out of the installation. Wouldn't it be
> possible to nudge common package systems, like Linux distros and Cygwin,
> into providing a basic DocBook processing meta package which simply
> installs the essential pieces? It should then be easier to go from there
> if someone doesn't like xsltproc and wants a Java-based processor and so
> on.

To my knowledge they all do their own thing?
Hence my http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/setup/index.html
as a complete setup, if peculiar to me.

The 'docbook' end is (IMHO) fairly good now and doesn't
need adjusting.
Just the surrounding tools that need something doing for them.
1) A suggested location (or even a 'base') for those without admin rights
2) Batch/script files to run them for docbook
3) Optional: a make file or ant script
4) A partial catalog file  to start things off
5) A catalog.manager file

regards

regards

--