Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook 4.5 install. Woefully hard?

Quoting Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:

> I'm not best to judge that. I've not had much success with it
> since it changed from a 'complete' installation.
> Nor am I sure Windows users would appreciate changing 'environment'
> or installing such a big item?

This is definitely a point to think about for many. My Cygwin
installation at work weighs in at 1GB, but it contains the cruft of
several years. A fresh bare-bones installation is a lot slimmer than
that.

> 1) A suggested location (or even a 'base') for those without admin rights

This would be ~/bin on Unixish systems, wouldn't it?

> 2) Batch/script files to run them for docbook
> 3) Optional: a make file or ant script

These would certainly fill a void. There is no reason why everyone has
to invent his own scripts and makefiles. Modding existing ones would
make it a lot easier to get started.

> 4) A partial catalog file  to start things off
> 5) A catalog.manager file

This is why I'd advocate to use packaging systems, if at all possible.
Every self-respecting distro (including Cygwin) uses a tool like
xmlcatalog to manage XML and SGML catalogs whenever a relevant package
is added or removed. It should simply not be necessary for an author
writing DocBook documents to fiddle with these.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka