Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook 4.5 install. Woefully hard?

Dave

I have stayed away from cygwin because I wanted to make sure that the users had something simple. I keep a simple doctools tree that has all of the tools that I need (FOP, Saxon, XSLTPROC, etc) and the users load it from Subversion.

I support both Windows and Linux, since most of the content generators are Windows based and I use both. I created identically named scripts to run the Docbook generation on both Win32 and Linux, which keeps the documentation simpler.

Since most of the tools are Java based, the command calls are similar. I include XSLTPROC & XMLLINT for win32 in my distribution because they are available on most Linux distros but not Windows.

Your experience software developer is correct - it is a bit confusing at first, but sloshing through Bob's book can clear up almost all issues and put him on the right path.

I sometimes forget how much I struggled back when I developed the system, and I am a software developer ;-)

Cheers
Dean Nelson