Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook 4.5 install. Woefully hard?

On 08/03/2009 01:32 PM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> Quoting Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:
>
>> I'm not best to judge that. I've not had much success with it
>> since it changed from a 'complete' installation.
>> Nor am I sure Windows users would appreciate changing 'environment'
>> or installing such a big item?
>>

> This is definitely a point to think about for many. My Cygwin
> installation at work weighs in at 1GB, but it contains the cruft of
> several years. A fresh bare-bones installation is a lot slimmer than that.

Would a true Windows user even want cygwin - another question?

>> 1) A suggested location (or even a 'base') for those without admin rights
>
> This would be ~/bin on Unixish systems, wouldn't it?

this is where we're guessing what users want.

>> 2) Batch/script files to run them for docbook
>> 3) Optional: a make file or ant script
>
> These would certainly fill a void. There is no reason why everyone has
> to invent his own scripts and makefiles. Modding existing ones would
> make it a lot easier to get started.

Yes. Provide them and annotate where they need 'tweaking'.

>> 4) A partial catalog file to start things off
>> 5) A catalog.manager file
>>

> This is why I'd advocate to use packaging systems, if at all possible.
> Every self-respecting distro (including Cygwin) uses a tool like
> xmlcatalog to manage XML and SGML catalogs whenever a relevant package
> is added or removed. It should simply not be necessary for an author
> writing DocBook documents to fiddle with these.

No.. until he|she wants to add their own entries.
the request I got was 'but it doesn't work when I sync my two machines
using svn', since the two machines use different layouts.
     Partially a misuderstanding of catalogs. Partially too high hopes?

There is no packaged version for Windows though?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.