Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Section numbers and titles in PDF indexes

Hi,
This can be done, but it somewhat depends on which XSL-FO processor you are
using.  If you are using XEP, then it is a little more complicated because
XEP has indexing extensions that collapse duplicate page numbers and ranges,
and the Docbook stylesheets make use of those extensions when when the
stylesheet parameter xep.extensions=1.

If you are not using XEP, you can customize this template from
fo/autoidx.xsl:

   <xsl:template match="indexterm" mode="reference">

Where you see:

        <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="{$id}"/>

you can replace it with code to generate the section title.  The $id here is
the generated id for the indexterm, used in the marker element, which is an
empty fo element placed as the point destination for the indexterm in the
body of the document.  So this id won't be used for the section text.

To generate a text string like "3.4 Product Range", you'll need to find the
appropriate ancestor element of the indexterm.  The same template in
html/autoidx.xsl has the code for that.  It uses a text entity &section;
which is defined in common/entities.ent (you'll need to include those entity
declarations at the top of your customization layer in the same way
html/autoidx.xsl does).  Then you can generate the number and title with:

<xsl:variable name="container" select="&section;"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="$container" mode="label.markup"/>
<xsl:text> </xsl:text>
<xsl:apply-templates select="$container" mode="title.markup"/>