Subject: RE: DocBook topic element

Ha. Well, I wrote the original comment about using DITA and was trying to get a grasp on the intended nature of the proposed markup. I publish Help files from DocBook without any problems right now; a <section> *is* a topic as far as I'm concerned.

I think that how difficult it is to get "acceptable looking" output is beside the point. There is the XML syntax and then there are the applications that process it. I prefer to separate the two and decide what makes logical sense for the markup before then deciding how best to publish it.

From: Bergfrid Skaara [mailto:bergfrid.digitaldias@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:56 AM
To: Bob Stayton; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
-snip-

You ask "why not just use DITA?".  I think there are going to be lots of answers and discussions about that. Just because someone wants to set their content up in a modular fashion does not mean they have to use DITA, if there is a good alternative.  This proposal is for those who want to do modular content but don't need the special features of DITA, or who prefer to use DocBook markup and stylesheets.

I could not agree more. We want to do modular documentation, and are required to publish PDFs. Customizing DITA to get decent and accepptable looking PDFs is extremely hard, and we do not want to venture down that road. DocBook's stylesheets, the new RelaxNG schemas, and the solid documentation for customizing them are superior.

As Adobe said when I asked about DocBook 5 support in FrameMaker: "We have chosen DITA [and abandoned DocBook] because our focus is light-weight documentation and HTML-publishing."

Best regards,
Bergfrid Skaara