Subject: hr separator? insert external HTML code?

Is there a direct way you can insert a separator (i.e., like the <hr
tag) into the HTML output?

While doing research into that question, I notice that the XSL book
mentions a way to insert external HTML code into the page content
(i.e., not the footer or header)
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/InsertExtHtml.html#CodeInPage

I'm not quite sure I understand the directions here and the example.

Is it not enough just to add the code
</para>
<?dbhtml-include href="mycode.html"?>
<para>
in the appropriate place?  (I'm assuming no).

To use a trivial example:  Suppose mycode.html contained only:

<hr />

Would that be sufficient or would I need to wrap it inside html. i.e.,
<hr />

Judging from the context, I'm guessing that I would need to
create/modify a template. Can you confirm this?

The XSL example given for customizing  the header is:

<xsl:template name="user.header.content">
   <xsl:variable name="codefile" select="document('mycode.html',/)"/>
   <xsl:copy-of select="$codefile/htmlcode/node()"/>
</xsl:template>

However, that refers to a specific template called user.header.content
 (which is already part of the docbook xsl sheets).

In my trivial example of inserting the hr  tag via mycode.html, would
I need to invent a template name out of thin air? Or use an existing
one?

If a template is required, can you point me to an example of how to
accomplish this?

(Again, I realize that using a dbhtml-include statement simply to
insert an hr tag is trivial, but is useful for instructive purposes).

Thanks.

--
Robert Nagle
htpt://www.robertnagle.info