Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] why do user templates generate empty xmlns attributes?

Well, namespaces are a known confusion factor.  There is the namespace on
the input elements, which is the DocBook 5 namespace, and the namespace on
the output elements, which is XHTML's namespace.

In my previous response, I thought we were still talking about reading an
external file with the dbhtml-insert processing instruction to insert an
HTML fragment.  If that were the case, then that fragment in the external
file would need:

Since this content is just copied, the input namespace also needs to be the
XHTML namespace.  Then when that content is copied, the elements are in the
right namespace for XHTML output.

In your present case, however, you are generating the HTML fragment in the
stylesheet's user.header.content template.  The xhtml-1_1/docbook.xsl
stylesheet that the epub stylesheet imports has this namespace declaration:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml  (among others)

By not including a namespace prefix, this declaration sets the default
output namespace for any generated elements to this namespace.  That means
that any output elements that don't otherwise have a namespace assigned to
them will get the XHTML namespace.

However, your stylesheet customization lacks this default namespace
declaration, so the elements your customization generates are *not* in that
namespace (a default namespace is not inherited by xsl:import).

So any stylesheet customization using XHTML output needs to declare this
default namespace.  The last example on this page shows this:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/OtherOutputForms.html#CustomizeXhtml