Subject: make bold all the xref labels? (Customizing xref style)

I'm trying to figure out how to make bold all the xref labels in my printed PDF.

IN Chapter 15 of the XSL book p264 4th edition, there is a section on
Customizing Cross Reference Typography.
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomXrefs.html#CustomXrefStyle

 But I'm not sure what it means or how to actually implement it.

Two methods are suggested. The first is using the insert.title.markup
mode (whatever that is). The second method (which is more global) lets
you use the xref.properties set. Both methods, of course, are over my
head.

Let's try the second method, which seems easier.

What is xref.properties? The example given lists name="color" and a
test for it. I don't  recognize the name="color" attribute here. What
other attributes could you use here? Is there some kind of  reference
for what can go inside xref.properties?

The earlier example in the same section shows a stylesheet
customization that looks inside sect1 or section and whenever it sees
an xref, it inserts an FO statement when the $purpose="xref":

<xsl:template  match="sect1|sect2|sect3|sect4|sect5|section"
               mode="insert.title.markup">
  <xsl:param name="purpose"/>
  <xsl:param name="xrefstyle"/>
  <xsl:param name="title"/>

  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$purpose = 'xref'">
      <fo:inline font-style="italic">
        <xsl:copy-of select="$title"/>
      </fo:inline>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <xsl:copy-of select="$title"/>
    </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

But I don't understand purpose='xref' here. What is purpose and how
would a writer specify this? Did this template just create
name="purpose" out of thin air or is this something already described
in a stylesheet? In fact, the first part of this doesn't make sense at
all to me; can anyone explain what is going on with purpose and
mode="insert.title.markup" (I recognize xrefstyle and title but not
the rest).

Thanks for your help.

Robert

--