Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] improve DocBook's HTML output

2009/11/30 Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net>:
> 5.  You can customize the CSS input file beyond the minimal CSS styles that
> ship with distro.  If so, then put your file with your customization layer
> and change the 'docbook.css.file' parameter to point to your customized
> version.  You just need to keep the <style> root element wrapper.

It would be useful to be able to have a customised style sheet that's
used in addition to the default CSS rather than replacing it. This
would make it easier to keep track of which CSS rules are
customisations and which come from the default style sheet. And it
would make it easier to upgrade to new versions of the DocBook XSL
style sheets, because if the user had a CSS style sheet that's a
customised version of the default CSS, they'd have to merge in any
changes to the default CSS introduced by the upgrade.

Since the 'html.stylesheet' parameter can contain multiple CSS file
names, maybe one way to do this would be to write the generated CSS to
the first file, and treat the others as at present, ie just write
<link> elements and rely on the user to put CSS files in the output
directory. But this seems a bit confusing to me, and I think it would
be simpler to have the generated CSS file name controlled by a
separate parameter.

Andy