Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Center tables in XEP print output

Hi,
The problem with that workaround is that if there is no width information in
the table, then there are too many variables for the automatic table layout.
Without any width information in your table markup, all columns in the
wrapper table are considered proportional and set to the same width.  That
squashes the middle column containing your table.  If you add fixed column
widths or a <?dbfo table-width="4in"?> (or such) processing instruction to
your table, then it will claim its space in the wrapper table layout and
leave the rest to the outer empty columns to center it.  Without such width
information, the workaround is not sufficient.

It would be better if XEP supported the text-align="center" property on
fo:table-and-caption, but it still does not.

From: "Mathias Schindler" <m.schindler@matrixware.com>
To: "DocBook Apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:26 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Center tables in XEP print output

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to center my tables using Saxon 9.1.0.2J and XEP
4.16.

I tried to use the workaround available on
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TableAlignment.html to get the
expected result but it didn't work correctly.
It centers my tables but it compresses them horizontally and makes them
too narrow.

Then I tried to set the attribute 'wrap-option' to 'no-wrap' which
resulted in good looking small tables but too wide big tables.

I have made 2 screenshots - one where you can see the narrow tables, and
one with the wide ones.

Just take a look at them here:
http://img22.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=tablewrap.jpg.

Any ideas?