Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] nested xinclude and figure

You will need to address the paths via a relative path (i.e. "subsect/../../img"). It looks like you have done that but you may also think about using XSLTPROC with the xinclude option. This may be a better option.

You could also try using a catalog to resolve the names http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html

Regards,
Dean Nelson

In a message dated 12/16/2009 10:02:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, barton.wright@streambase.com writes:
For shared images, your life and book generation will be much improved with a simpler directory structure. In the following suggestion, chapter files in both the Admin and User books have the same path to the shared image files.

/docs

  |_ /admin
  |___| admin-only-chapter
  |___| shared-chapter
  |_ /img
  |_ /user
  |___| user-only-chapter

This benefits authoring (if your authoring tool displays images in place), and benefits book generation for both HTML and PDF output targets.

Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Riffel [mailto:versorger@gmx.li]
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:48 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [docbook-apps] nested xinclude and figure

Hi everyone,

I am in dire need of some xinclude advice. I think a somehow similar issue already has been discussed in October but I couldn't find useful hints there.

What I have is a administrator manual from which I derive a user manual by creating a new <book> in a different directory and then pull the relevant parts and chapters  via xinclude.

Structure looks like this (simplified):

/docs
  |_ /admin
  |   |_/img
  |   |
  |   |_/content
  |       |
  |       |_/subsect

  |_ /user

The files in content and subsect each have <informalfigure> elements pointing to "../img" respectively to "../../img".

My tool chain starts with xmllint to resolve the xincludes followed by using saxon 6.5.2 to do the transformation into xsl-fo. What happens is that after the xsl transformation the @fileref of the "innermost" graphic looks like this: "file:///e:/temp/xinclude-test/admin/admin/admin/_img/note.png" which is obviously plain wrong in the triple "admin" part. Formatter would be Antenna House 4.2

I tried fiddling around with different versions of the docbook stylesheets, avoiding the use of my customization layers, but the result was always the same. I also looked into the (what I think) relevant templates of common.xsl where @fileref is dealt with.

I have uploaded my test files (http://uploaded.to/file/sh9jus) because I wasn't sure if attachments are welcome on this list.

Thanks in advance for any clues!
Patrick