Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Apostrophe in docbook document

Could somebody tell me which is the correct symbol to use for apostrophe.

The HTML special characters entity set has apos #x27 where apos
presumably stands for apostrophe - this is the straight up single quote
mark which XML defines and uses for special purposes.

The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on-line tells me:
"The omission of one or more letters in a word.
A sign (') used to indicate the omission of one or more letters or
numerals (as in can't, o'er, 'cello; spirit of '76 (i.e. 1776)), or in
marking the possessive case (man's, boys')."
So SOED appears to use apos.  Do they know, or just confused?  Or could
it be a UK/US difference?
(I've always used the keyboard ' for XML use and apos when I want the
apostrophe in text.)

Wikipedia tells me:
"The apostrophe is different from the closing single quotation mark
(usually rendered identically but serving a quite different purpose),
and from the similar-looking prime (which is used to indicate
measurement in feet or arcminutes, and for various mathematical purposes)."
So Wiki tells me use rsquo  #x2019 (#8217) which looks like an
apostrophe, and not to use apos or prime (#x2032)
but also:
"The prime symbol should not be confused with the apostrophe, single
quotation mark, acute accent or grave accent."