Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Apostrophe in docbook document

Hi all

Having consulted the Lady of the House over a cocktail or two, I think
we understand the problem and have a solution (given a decision what an
apostrophe should look like on paper.)

We have (at least) three logical symbols:
1. a singular possessive - this is Ron' book
2. a plral posessive - these the are mens' books
3. a missing word ain't (or old English an't)

In principle we need three different symbols, **BUT** these different
symbols are only needed for computerized searches, not for visual
scanning by humans, of text.  The principle is already implemented in
XML:  different U-codes can point to the same symbol.

So we want four different Ucode points, possibly !amiss;, !asing;, and
!aplur: and !apos;, the first three of which point to the symbol
currently ’ and the fourth which points to ' (I use ! instead
of & to avoid any mis-interpretation of symbols by my email software
(Thunderbird)).

Given these pointers in Ucode any software can unambiguously parse any
XML code.  Any human will (or should be intelligent enough to) read the
visual display and interpret correctly the meaning of the symbol correctly.

But what should the (single) symbol look like on paper?  The Lady of the
House is quite clear on this - "at school I was taught my Mr. Webster
that an apostrophe was a 'small filled in 9' raised above the line",
rather 'like a comma, which is a small filled in 9 on the line and
projecting below'".

I defer totally to Mr. Webster (whoever he was) and to the Lady of the
House - Jacqui Holland-Bradley, as she was then known, and the lady who
introduced IP-networking to the British and European community when the
Telcos of the UK and Europe were all saying "we will never do this
Internet thing over here - OSI is the way to go".  Anybody remember OSI?

As a matter of total irrelevance to the apostrophe question, Jacqui
hosted and organized the first occasion at her IPNetworking conference
in 1991 when the USSR (as it was then) connected to the Internet.  As
such she speaks with the authority of, 'she who must be obeyed' (and if
you haven't met Rumpole of the Bailey, your education is sadly
incomplete - Jacqui worked out of Gray's Inn)!

Ron