Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] inlinemediaobject + caption for epubs?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Robert Nagle <idiotprogrammer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want images to interrupt the flow of the page when it's in
> epub.  Instead I want text to wrap around a right-aligned image.

OK, that sounds like presentation.

> It looks like inlinemedia is the best element for that;

...but that sounds like semantics.

> however, by
> default inlinemedia doesn't allow captions -- only textobjects which
> don't render in chunked html output (only as alt text).  I need the
> equivalent of captions for inlinemedia elements.

...but inlinemedia elements are, by definition, untitled/captioned. "A
caption is an extended description of a mediaobject or figure or other
formal or informal element. "

> The problem here is that mediaobjects are block elements (which make
> sense for  html and fo output, but not for epub). When dealing with
> smaller sized screens, using the extra space to separate an image
> block element is wasteful and inefficient.
>
> Any ideas for how to solve this problem?

Why not solve the problem in the CSS in the ePub? You'll already need
to be adding CSS customizations (for wrapping and alignment) to try to
get the desired behavior (although a reading system may choose to
ignore your requests), so adding more instructions to control the
display behavior (block, inline, etc) would make sense.

Keith