Subject: Re: [docbook] ePub: Title page missing and ToC in spine?

[Back to DocBook-Apps]

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Boris Schäling <boris@highscore.de> wrote:
> While this all works with the book I'm experimenting with I don't know if
> there are use cases where the predicates applied to the book node make
> sense? Simply removing them might have side effects? Setting root.is.a.chunk
> always to 1 might have side effects, too? But there is someone who wrote
> this code and should know? :-)

Most of the XSLT for the ePub output was developed in a test-first
style, so it's unlikely but possible that I just added code that has
no impact. If you'd like to understand the impact of changes to the
XSLT on a larger set of inputs, I'd suggest running the test suite and
smoketests for the ePub output that are (briefly) described here:
https://docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/docbook/trunk/xsl/epub/bin/spec/README

I've added the output of the test suite from my machine on the current
SVN trunk to the end of this email to clarify what you should see. I'm
also able to get 211 of the 224 smoketests (94%) to pass, which is
normal.

If the above helps clarify some of the design decisions and expose
areas for fixes and improvements, I'd be delighted to see bug reports
with test documents attached, failing test cases, and/or patches with
new test cases & fixes. That said, the continued refinement of the
ePub stylesheets is not a high priority for me at this time[1], so I'm
eager to help others make contributions to improve the quality of the
code, documentation, and output.

Regards,
Keith

1. Although I won't rule out the idea that it could be again with the
right motivation. http://threepress.org

spec/epub_spec.rb
DocBook::Epub
- should be able to be created
- should fail on a nonexistent file
- should be able to render to a file
- should create a file after rendering
- should have the correct mimetype after rendering
- should be valid .epub after rendering an article
- should be valid .epub after rendering an article without sections
- should be valid .epub after rendering a book
- should be valid .epub after rendering a book even if it has one graphic
- should be valid .epub after rendering a book even if it has many graphics
- should be valid .epub after rendering a book even if it has many
duplicated graphics
- should report an empty file as invalid
- should confirm that a valid .epub file is valid
- should include at least one dc:identifier
- should include an ISBN as URN for dc:identifier if an ISBN was in the metadata
- should include an ISSN as URN for dc:identifier if an ISSN was in the metadata
- should include an biblioid as a dc:identifier if an biblioid was in
the metadata
- should include a URN for a biblioid with @class attribute as a
dc:identifier if an biblioid was in the metadata
- should not include PDFs in rendered epub files as valid image inclusions
- should include a CSS link in HTML files when a CSS file has been provided
- should include CSS file in .epub when a CSS file has been provided
- should include a reference in the OPF manifest to the provided CSS file
- should include a reference in the OPF manifest to the embedded font
- should include the embedded font file in the bundle
- should be valid .epub after including more than one embedded font
- should include one and only one <h1> in each HTML file in rendered
ePub files for <book>s
- should include one and only one <h1> in each HTML file in rendered
ePub files for <book>s even if they do not have section markup
- should include a TOC link in rendered epub files for <book>s
- should allow for the stylesheets to be overridden by a customization layer

Finished in 64.169372 seconds

29 examples, 0 failures

==

spec/epub_realbook_spec.rb
DocBook::Epub
- should be able to render a valid .epub for the 'Real Book' test document
- should include the large cover image in each rendered epub of a
'Real Book' test document like
- should mark the HTML cover as not linear for the 'Real Book' test document
- should use the cover image @id for the opf/meta[@name='cover'] for
the 'Real Book' test document
- should reference the cover in the OPF guide for the 'Real Book' test document
- should use the <isbn> as dc:identifier for the 'Real Book' test document
- should use the <copyright> as dc:rights for the 'Real Book' test document
- should use the <publishername> as dc:publisher for the 'Real Book'
test document
- should use the <abstract> as dc:description for the 'Real Book' test document
- should use the <date> as dc:date for the 'Real Book' test document
- should use the <subjectset> as dc:subject for the 'Real Book' test document

Finished in 23.976278 seconds

11 examples, 0 failures

==

DocBook::Epub
- should not include two <itemref>s to the contents of <part>s in the OPF file
- should preserve content from <dedication> elements
- should use the correct mimetype for CSS files
- should not include an XHTML DOCTYPE in the OPF file
- should reference a cover in the OPF guide for a DocBook 5.0 test document
- should allow pre elements inside blockquotes
- should render refentry/refclass without duplicating <p>s
- should not use namespace prefixes for the OPF manifest because
mobigen is unable of handling XML input
- should use the @lang of the document being converted for the OPF metadata
- should include images from &entity; and XInclude'd documents
- should not warn about named &entity;s
- should not use a namespace prefix for the container element to help
some broken reading systems
- should not include an index entry for Symbols when using @types and
the symbols are not a part of that @type
- should include chunked refentries in the spine even when they're deeply nested
- should include chunked refentries in the spine in the correct order
and adjacency even when they're deeply nested
- should not include font style elements like <b> or <i>
- should allow sect2s inside partintros

Finished in 133.675144 seconds

17 examples, 0 failures

==

spec/epub_smoketest_spec.rb
DocBook::Epub
- should be able to render a valid .epub for the test document
/Users/abdelazer/docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/trunk/testdocs/tests/admonitions.001.xml
[0]
- should be able to render a valid .epub for the test document
/Users/abdelazer/docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/trunk/testdocs/tests/article.001.xml
[1]
- should be able to render a valid .epub for the test document
/Users/abdelazer/docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/trunk/testdocs/tests/article.002.xml
[2]