Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] DocBook and Google Summer of Code ?

Just throwing one idea out there for this project:
Upgrade the refdb-lite code to take it from DocBook 4.6 using DTDs to DocBook 5 using RelaxNG.

The code started as part of RefDB proper and "lightened" by Doug du Boulay.
The sourceforge site is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refdb-lite/

"Pure XSLT 1 based formatting of bibliographies and citations in DocBook XMLdocuments. Bibliographic data can be accessed either from a real RefDB database, or from an XML data file."

The refdb-lite XSLT code base is in good shape and it provides a simple method of using straight XSLT1.0 to create bibliographies and can create different citation methods for html (author-year for one example). Additionally, it can use a raw DocBook bibliography and does not require a RefDB database setup (although it can use one if needed).

It's a solid place to start with some obvious modifications that are needed and the scope can be kept to fit in with the Summer of Code time frame.

I'm biased since I have a docbook system that requires author-year citations. However, it does seem to me that DocBook would benefit from a simple and straightforward way to create bibliographies that could be folded back into the DocBook stylesheets; a method that requires no extra setup, just using DocBook bibliography collection and XSLT (1.0).

Any comments? Would such a project benefit enough users?

thanks,
--Tim Arnold